Engage in a process with dedicated time and space just for you.
Integrate yoga, self-compassion, mindfulness, and/or design thinking into your coaching sessions.
Hi, my name is Heather Shaughnessy-Cato. I am especially excited to work with fellow sensitives.
I too identify as sensitive – throughout my life I have felt the pain of the world and those around me deeply. It has taken time to discover and apply approaches that have helped me to learn to titrate how much I “take in,” to hold myself and my experiences with more awareness and compassion, and to discover what I truly need, with this sensitivity superpower, to flourish.
I welcome the opportunity to meet you, to hear what questions and struggles you are in, to learn about your vision and wishes for yourself, and to together explore a path forward to align your experience with what matters most to you.
I invite you to schedule a 30-minute consultation to meet each other and discuss the possibility of working together.
Working one-on-one with clients is among my favorite things to do.
I tend to delight in getting to know each client – who you are, what matters to you, how you like to work together; and to accompany you through the realities of your life – the struggles, questions, insights, and learnings.
We have the option of engaging in talk-based coaching and/or integrating mind-body practices (yoga, self-compassion exercises and meditations, mindfulness) into our sessions to release stress and tension, to (re)connect with your inner wisdom and resources, and to help you to hold yourself and your experiences with more compassion. For those interested in creative practices, we can draw from the Designing Your Life framework to think more expansively and creatively.
Throughout the process we will partner to surface authentic insights, emerging from your inner wisdom. These insights can then fuel the practical shifts in life you may be seeking.
My overall goal is to help you to feel more at home and empowered in your life, whatever that looks like and means for you.
Working together through coaching provides an opportunity to:
- Be with your thoughts, feelings and experiences with more awareness, compassion, and curiosity.
- Surface your authentic insights and (re)connect with your inner wisdom.
- Reflect on and articulate your priorities, values, and goals.
- Seek clarity through discussion and reflection, and/or journaling and visual tools.
- Find greater alignment with your priorities in your daily life.
- Make shifts in beliefs and behaviors
- Approach change as a kind experiment, and with a growth mindset (learning as we go)
- Cultivate embodiment – tune in to and connect with the wisdom of your body.
- Elevate your self-care with a focus on what is truly replenishing for you.
- Soften self-criticism and self-doubt.
- Embrace who you are rather than who you think you “should” be.
Mind-body and creative practices for flourishing
Based on your interests, we can integrate yoga, self-compassion practices, meditation, mindfulness, and/or Designing Your Life modules into our coaching sessions.
- Engaging in self-compassion meditations and exercises in our session, with resources for practices between sessions. Self-compassion can be helpful when you would like to cultivate self-kindness, set boundaries, explore motivation with compassion, work with difficult emotions, manage stress, or develop your own practices for appreciation and gratitude.
- Integrating mindfulness into our sessions– such as beginning and ending with a brief mindfulness practice, threading mindful awareness through the coaching process for greater clarity, and exploring practical ways to bring mindfulness into everyday life.
- Incorporating yoga into our sessions – beginning with centering movement, or exploring themes that we are working on in coaching in an embodied way. We can also explore themes from yogic and contemplative philosophy into the coaching process, considering how to apply ancient wisdom in our modern lives.
- Learning Designing Your Life tools for a more creative and flexible approach to life’s wicked problems: learning the art of reframing to get unstuck, designing your day for more balance and energy, brainstorming new ideas, and prototyping, or engaging in small experiments to test life’s possibilities.
My work is informed by the following frameworks:
|Mindful Self-Compassion||The art and science of treating yourself like a good friend. MSC is an empirically-supported program to develop the skill of self-compassion for greater self-kindness, to feel more connected with others, to soothe, comfort and protect ourselves, and to make changes out of self-love and a commitment to growth.|
|Designing Your Life||A creative method of applying the human-centered design thinking process to our own lives – to think more expansively and creatively, to learn to pivot in the midst of change, and to collaborate with others to expose our underlying assumptions and constraints. Learn practical strategies and feel more empowered to design a life in which you can flourish.|
|Mindfulness||Balanced, non-judgmental present moment awareness. Practicing mindfulness can help to reduce stress, bring grounding in the midst of intense moments, enhance self-awareness, and help you to intentionally pause and appreciate the good things in life.|
|Yoga||A contemplative practice for healing, integration, connection and kindness. Yoga offers an opportunity to listen deeply to our minds, bodies and hearts, to heal with movement and breath, to cultivate present moment awareness, and to play with embodying mindfulness and self-compassion.|
|Wellness & Health Coaching||A reflective, experiential process to enhance physical, mental, emotional, and/or spiritual well-being. Set your vision for wholehearted well-being, then take incremental steps – with support- toward your vision.|
|MA, Clinical Mental Health Counseling||With my previous training and experience as a therapist, my starting point is to see each person as whole and an expert in their own lives. My goal as a coach is to help you remember your wholeness and to connect with your own inner wisdom and courage.|
|Trauma-informed approaches||Trauma-Sensitive approaches take into account how trauma impacts the body and mind. There are a more inclusive range of options we can incorporate in practicing mindfulness, yoga, self-compassion, and in navigating both one-on-one and small-group class sessions.|
I offer coaching sessions through Wholehearted LLC, based in Brunswick, Maine. I work with clients in any location (virtual sessions) or in-person at my office in Brunswick, Maine.
How many sessions are recommended? I recommend a minimum of 5 sessions as exploring your experience with curiosity and compassion takes some time.
Session rates: Standard rates are $125 per 50-minute session. I also offer sliding scale rates, please be in touch to learn more.
Schedule a free 30-minute consultation to explore the possibility of working together, or send me a note (both options are below).
Services include coaching and teaching, and are not considered behavioral health services or therapy.
Schedule a free 30-minute consultation
You are invited to schedule a 30 minute conversation to explore the possibility of working together.
Send me a note
I can’t express how much I enjoyed interacting with you during our coaching sessions. I got so much more out of it than I could have possibly imagined. With your gentle & insightful guidance, I was able to shift some long ingrained patterns of harsh self-judgment.
— Chris, Coaching client
“Be kinder to yourself.
And then let your kindness flood the world.”
— Pema Chödrön
Heather Shaughnessy-Cato, MA